We're driving home from daycare and I am heading East on C-470, a major highway in the Denver area.

Abby: Mom, you need to slow down. That was a yellow light.
Me: What? This is a highway, there are no traffic lights.
Abby: Yes, there was. I saw one. It was yellow and you didn't slow down!

It was rush hour, so on-ramps had yield lights flashing for traffic control.

Me: Oh, no, Abby. Those lights are not for us. If there is a yellow light for us, I will slow down. I promise.
Abby: Only GREEN means go! YELLOW means go slow!
Me: I know, Abby. Thanks.
Abby [through rear-view mirror, I see she's got her hands on her hips]: I am NOT happy with you! You need to start listening or you will have to stand in a corner when we get home.

====

Last week I took the girls to visit the Wildlife Experience - a little interactive museum and activities center. Abby was being such a good girl that I decided to give her a treat from one of the best donut shops in the area. Unfortunately, because this was such a great donut shop, it was 12:30 PM and all donuts were already sold out.

Abby: That's ok! If we pass by another good donut store, we will stop, all right? Does that sound like a plan?
Me: That's a deal, Abby.

We drive home. No donut shops along the way down that stretch of I-25. Later, we met up with friends to visit the Buddy Center - a pet adoption center - just to visit some adorable animals. On the way, we pass the gas station right outside our housing community.

Abby: Look, we're passing by a donut store!
Me: No we're not.
Abby: Yes!
Me: What are you talking about?
Abby: THAT is a great donut store.
Me: The gas station convenience store?
Abby [after a pause, huffily]: Are you telling me that THAT is NOT a great donut store?!
Me: YES!
Abby: We'll ask daddy when he gets home. Whatever he says [goes]!

That night, I relayed our conversation to Paul and he gave Abby credit for winning the argument because she somehow remembers visiting that convenience store with Paul over a year and a half ago and seeing fresh Krispy Kreme donuts there.

Comments (0)