Abby wanted two pigtails for school today.

After brushing her teeth and washing her face, I brushed her hair. As I started to part her hair, I saw a ton of black specks near her scalp and I froze.

"Aaagh, she's got head lice! Oh my gosh, she can't go to school today. I need to get Paul back in here to look at this. I wonder how much of this is all over her bed. All over her room. All over the HOUSE! Need to check Kayleigh. That's it! My girls are living in a bubble from now on!"

I stared to see if anything was moving. Thank goodness, no. So, my next, more rational thought was, "Shouldn't nits be white?"

At that moment, Abby moved her head and one of the specks caught the light and shined blue. Imagine my RELIEF when that clued me in to the fact that her head was actually covered in blue GLITTER......not nits.

The calmer me said to Abby, "Abby, were you playing with glitter in art yesterday?" Meanwhile, I was thinking why, oh why, didn't I give her a bath yesterday. Would've saved me from a near heart-attack this morning.

"Noooo...."

"Then how did you get all this blue glitter in your hair?"

"Quinncy put the sprinkles in my hair and then I put some in Quinncy's hair and then I put some in Olivia's hair. It was just the three of us and the teachers didn't know about it. We were like Tinker Bell and her friends."

Ah, glitter = pixie dust.

Just an overreaction.

Comments (1)

On September 19, 2011 at 10:08 PM , Angie said...

At least you reacted more calmly than my mom did when she discovered I got lice during the epidemic in my 4th grade class - she leaped away from me & shrieked, "There are bugs in your hair!" You can imagine that I didn't react well to that. :)