I am so backed up on posting to the blog that I've about given up. Weekdays are impossible for getting anything done and we're going to bed later and later, yet getting up earlier and earlier.

Good news is that the earlier and earlier part is due to (ring the bells, set off the fireworks) Kayleigh finally - FINALLY - sleeping through the night. Which really means around midnight until 6 AM. She still goes to bed at 8PM, but will wake for a midnight feeding then will sleep for a long stretch until 6 AM. Not a minute more, not a minute less.

Between 8PM and our bedtime (which is midnight now) we need to clean up from the evening, prepare for the next day by preparing meals, packing lunches, call parents, check emails, do timecards, and our newest activity.......P90X.

Now, know that I am not a workout buff, but I enjoy being active. I once ran a 5 mile race and it was by far the biggest achievement of my workout/fitness history. Paul and I tried "training" together, but since he runs 8 miles in less time than I can run 3 and can easily run 5 as a warm-up, there was very little togetherness. I've done yoga, pilates, plus gym stuff such as elliptical trainers, circuit machines, treadmills, spinning, but finding the time to get to a gym is impossible with 2 little ones. So, my workouts for the past couple of years have been all the nearby hikes and walks that we've been able to do with Abby and Kayleigh on the evenings when the weather is nice.

When our friends told us about P90X, it sounded like something that might provide enough variety to keep us engaged, despite it being a home workout routine. I've never been able to stick to a DVD workout because you get bored with them so quickly.

So, we got some resistance bands and the set of DVDs and began this workout.

You'll be surprised to know that it's been 3.5 weeks and we're still enjoying it. Very much, in fact! It truly is a workout we can both do together.

We both love Kenpo X (kicking, punching) and despise Ab Ripper X (339 ab moves in 16 minutes - now don't get me started on Tony Horton - creator of P90X - math because I can't figure out how he gets his numbers. Not even the 90 in P90X!! I mean, 13 weeks x 7 days a week = 91, right? So, why's it not P91X? Or, since day 7 is optional, 13 x 6 days a week = 78. Whatever!). There are things about every DVD that I hate - like dive bomber push-ups, reverse warrior poses, wall squats - but overall, I have enjoyed every workout.

The whole P90X program includes a diet plan and supplements. For this go-around, we are only doing the workouts to get ourselves off our butts. We plan to repeat the series and hope to include some of the nutritional guidance to see what differences that would make.

So, my lame excuse for not posting as often as I would like is that we haven't quite figured out how to really fit P90X into our schedules yet, but we're having a lot of fun so far working out together.

Comments (0)