I am still very nervous about the school choice we made for Abby. Both Paul and I fear she won't like the non-traditional learning environment and we don't know HOW these kids learn. We know these kids DO learn a lot, though. We know learning plans are individually tailored, yet, what can we expect?

Well, after just one week, I must say I'm pretty impressed.  Abby ADORES her school and the "work" that they do, but she especially loves the teachers in her class, so I think she'll have a great year.

I recently posted that the lead teacher had warned us that we won't see many products come home because they are process-oriented, not product-oriented.  However, we have seen quite a bit come home in just one week of school.

Product Example 1: When I picked her up today, she says, "Mama, I know how to make the Earth.  First, you make the inner core, then the outer core, then the mantle, and finally, the crust.  That's where we live, and the blue is the water that lays on top; the white is the land poking through."  She pulls out this clay model for which the 4 and 5 year olds willingly gave up recess to finish making!  Awesome science lesson for these kids, right?  Obviously, she retained something.

Abby's Earth
Product Example 2: For this one, Abby could barely contain herself when I picked her up on Day 3 of Kindergarten because she wanted to show me that her teacher had taught her how to write Chinese! When I saw what she had done and realized how much time and focus had to have gone into it, I was blown away.  Amazingly, her characters are written well enough that my parents could easily tell this was a passage from the Bible.

Chinese Characters
Product Example 3: The very next day, she came home with more writing samples.  This time, the Greek and Russian alphabets. 

Greek and Russian Alphabet

If these products are representative of the type of lessons and broad exposure of topics she will get at this school, I'm happy.

Comments (0)