Our friends Kristin, Lisa, and Eric invited us over for Afternoon Tea at their place today and I volunteered to make some low-key food while they supplied the tea. As I've mentioned before, we participate in a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program at a local farm (the Red Wiggler) just a few minutes from our house. Over the last couple of weeks we've been overloaded with tomatoes of every type, so for the Afternoon Tea appetizers, I wanted to make some things featuring tomatoes.

I was very happy with the turn-out of these three recipes I tried. Here are the links and the adjustments I made to each:

- Eggplant and Tomatoes Appetizer - I broiled the eggplants on high for 10 minutes instead of having to pull out a grill and I diced the tomatoes because my tomatoes were twice as large as the eggplant rounds. The presentation did not suffer too badly and this was a real hit! The parmesan garlic sauce was excellent.
- Black Bean and Tomato Salsa with tortilla chips - This turned out really well also. I used about 2 Tbsp of cilantro, added diced red onion in addition to the scallions, and added additional salt and pepper to bring out the taste of the tomatoes.
- Apricot Buttermilk scones with strawberry preserves - This is the best scone recipe I have come across. Still a little dry, but was very tasty with the strawberry preserves. I added chopped, dried apricots instead of the currants and combined steps 2-5 and just mixed everything into the wet ingredients all at once....this may have contributed to the dryness, though. I don't know.

Here's a picture of the beautiful Eggplant and Tomatoes Appetizer, courtesy of the website where I found the recipe. Don't they look delicious?!

Comments (0)